David Kim, Concertmaster Philadelphia Orchestra
SATURDAY, February 25, 2017, 2:45 – 4:15 pm
BCCC Music and Multi Media Building, Room 001
It is our pleasure to announce that David Kim, concert master of the Philadelphia Orchestra, will be presenting a violin master class for YOBC students on Saturday, February 25, 2017. Six YOBC students will be randomly selected to perform and receive coaching from Mr. Kim at the master class. If you wish to apply to perform, please carefully read the information below and complete the online application form. Please note that the application deadline is Friday, December 30, 2016.
Please note: All deadlines and requirements must be observed.
Application Deadline: Friday, December 30, 2016
Performers must be YOBC violinists enrolled in Symphony Orchestra, Philharmonia, Ripieno, or Concertino. Six applicants will be randomly selected (see below).
Students must be available for the entire master class on February 25, and the accompanist rehearsal on the evening of February 24.
Master Class Date:
Saturday, February 25, 2017, from 2:45 – 4:15, BCCC Room 001
You must be available for the entire master class.
Music Submission Deadline (piano accompaniment & extra solo part)
YOBC will provide a piano accompanist for each student selected to perform at the master class. The piano accompaniment for your music must be submitted to YOBC by January 15. Music should be mailed to Youth Orchestra of Bucks County c/o Diana Nolan, 70 Canoebirch Rd, Levittown, PA 19057. Email: email@example.com if you need to make another arrangement. Please ensure that your name is clearly written on the front of the music. The piano accompaniment must be original music. Please include a photocopy of the solo part.
Rehearsal with Accompanist:
Friday, February 24, 2017 @ BCCC
6:00 pm – 9:30 pm
You will be assigned a 20-30 minute period to work with the accompanist.
The schedule will be determined and sent to you at a later date.
Attendance at the rehearsal is required.
Requirements for Performance in the Master Class (YOBC members only)
-Eligible YOBC students must submit an online application by the deadline date. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
-Performers will be randomly selected from eligible applicants on the following basis:
- 2 Symphony Orchestra violins
- 2 Philharmonia violins
- 1 Ripieno violin
- 1 Concertino violin
- You must select a solo work to be performed that is 3 to 5 minutes in length. The work may be a complete solo, a movement or portion of a solo.
- You must seek guidance in selecting an appropriate solo from your private music teacher.
- You must carefully and thoroughly prepare your music with the guidance of your private music teacher.
- Good preparation will also involve listening to recordings of your solo so you understand how the solo line fits with the accompaniment.
- Failure to properly prepare your music will result in disqualification from performance at the master class.
- YOBC will provide a piano accompanist for your performance at the master class and for one rehearsal in advance of the master class. You are required to attend the rehearsal with the accompanist.
- You must purchase and submit the piano accompaniment for your solo by the required due date to allow the accompanist adequate time to prepare the music. A separate copy of the solo part must be submitted with the piano accompaniment. If you will not be performing the complete solo, please indicate the portion of the solo to be performed on both the solo and piano accompaniment parts.
- Failure to submit piano accompaniment to YOBC by the deadline will result in disqualification from performance at the master class.